My ex-Platoon Commander (he's been posted to 3rd guards) asked for our reflections on BMT. Here it is, reproduced in its original version.
***
It was not long ago when I boarded the ferry service at the SFT with my parents and luggage in tow. I still remember the dread and apprehension I felt then. What is to happen to me? Will I be accepted by my peers and commanders? Will I be able to endure the physical training?
In fact, those worrying thoughts only crept up in the few days leading to my enlistment. Before that, I was actually looking forward to be enlisted, to be transformed into something else (hopefully something better than what I was). And oh boy was I glad for the change, but only for a while. To be more exact, only for the first week of enlistment.
What more can I ask for? I have reasonable and amiable commanders, the trainings are tough but they are carried out with due regards to my welfare as well, and I quickly fostered friendships with my platoon mates, some of whom I have seen during my secondary and JC school life, but have not talked with before.
The reality of leading a military life probably did not sink into me during the first week. Looking back, I was probably brimming with positivism back then because of the novelty of army! Getting my first paycheck, wearing the No. 4 uniform (for the uninitiated, it is the green uniform with the camouflage pattern), finally being released from school!
Yes, being released from school is one enormous, major milestone in anybody’s life, I suppose. I was (and am) excited about shaping my life the way I would like it to be – my appearance, lifestyle, career… things that I never bothered much about. 12 years is a long time, but how short it seems now, after going through it.
The 9 weeks, at certain times, felt longer than 12 years! Army life is certainly mentally less taxing than JC life (at least for the time being), but the yearning to board a one-way ferry service from Pulau Tekong is lethal! And most people say BMT is the best part of army life, what will happen to me come 25 March?
But I shall not give up just as yet! Nearly every male Singaporean underwent the 2 years of training and came out of it alive and stronger, for about 40 years already. Going by the laws of probability I should be able to do so, too. I must lift my spirits, get ready for the skirmishes, battles and wars ahead.
The 9 weeks of army uncovered parts of me, some of which I probably never noticed before. I found out that I am a slow learner, possibly owing to a bad short term memory (handling the foot drills and procedures involving the rifle requires immense brainpower to memorize). I am almost consistently one of the last men to leave the bunk for activities because I struggle to finish doing everything in time. And of course, I now treasure my normal civilian life more than ever – my family, my house, my free time. It is really what they say, a journey of self discovery.
To add on to what I have only glossed over earlier, I am thankful for the people around me, the commanders and peers who accommodate my utterly ‘unique’ self and embrace my weaknesses. Am equally grateful to the gila and garang people in my platoon who push everyone to maintain a sense of urgency. Hopefully the rest of their NS life will be fulfilling for them.
I wonder if what I wrote is similar to others’. The shared experiences will certainly bond people together, in the future after we ORD or POP, if not now. We’ll understand the intentions and treasure the experience more when we get older, I suppose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment